A Brief History Since 1825, even before Sidney was an organized village, people have been worshipping at the First Presbyterian Church. We are proud of our history, that ours was the first organized church in Sidney, where people of faith met to worship God in a log building that served as the Shelby county seat, courthouse, jail, and even "the church."
The first building for the First Presbyterian Church, was built in 1834. We are now in the third building the congregation has built on this site in downtown Sidney. Our history is one of a congregation reaching out to those in need in times of community and personal crisis, and faithfully preaching and presenting the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Organization and Structure The First Presbyterian Church of Sidney, Ohio is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (PCUSA). We are one of fifty-some churches in the Presbytery of the Miami Valley, composed of more than 14,000 congregants in southwestern Ohio. The Miami Presbytery is one of eleven presbyteries organized as part of the Synod of the Covenant which includes 700-some congregations in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Kentucky.
The constitution of the PCUSA states that all ministry in the church is a gift from Jesus Christ under whose authority members and officers serve mutually. Each one of us has a role in living lives of faith, called and sent into the world as witnesses to and agents of God's saving love in Jesus Christ our Lord.
A responsibility of membership in the church is the election of officers who are ordained to fulfill particular functions. These are called and ordained into service in the offices of Minister of the Word and Sacrament, Elders, and Deacons.
The First Presbyterian Church 202 North Miami Avenue | Sidney, Ohio 45365 | 937-492-4597